LINGERIE | SWIMSUIT | BIKINI | BEAUTY | ONLINE SHOPPING | HAIR STYLES | SWEET GIRLS | WEDDINGS LIFESTYLE | TRAVEL
 

Silver Jewelry

 

Trends in fashion might persuade you to try out other types of jewelry aside from gold. What comes in close second is silver jewelry that, even though it costs less than gold, still exudes that class and style you look for in fine jewelry.

However, there is a lot of available silver jewelry in the market nowadays. You have to make sure that

the silver you're buying is of the highest grade and quality so it will last longer than your regular costume jewelry. You also have to learn how to clean and store it as silver has a tendency to tarnish over time.

What is the best choice in silver jewelry?
No doubt about it, sterling silver is the best. Sterling silver is a type of alloy that combines silver, which

is a very malleable type of metal, with copper to make it more durable. You may come across tags with variations of the "925" figure which is used to indicate the ratio of silver (92.5%) and the other metal usually copper (7.5%) in any piece of sterling silver. The US Federal Trade Commission or FTC stipulates that no product may be described as silver or its variants unless it contains 92.5% pure silver. Usually,

the grade or the content of the silver is engraved or hallmarked onto the piece itself as proof of its authenticity. Look for this seal before buying.

There are other silver types that you might have come across - silver-plated or silver-electroplated.

No matter what the advertising says, you have to remember that this is still costume jewelry because

there is as little as 5% silver in these types. And when the plating fades, you can't bring back its former glory because the "silver" sheen is already gone.

More silver types like Alpaca silver and silver tone are basically metals or alloys that are coated with silver. They may cause irritation in sensitive skin and are easily tarnished especially if exposed to the elements.

Newer developments in the silver industry include the combination of platinum alloy with silver to make stronger and tarnish-free pieces. This may cost a little bit more than the usual sterling silver though.

How to clean and store your Silver Jewelry
Now that you've familiarized yourself with the different, available types of silver jewelry and probably

have bought a few pieces because of its affordability, you are now ready to learn how to care for and maintain its lustrous shine.

1. Storage – The best way to protect your silver jewelry is to store it in an individual compartment like

a jewelry box or soft pouch and kept in a cool, dark place. This will prevent scratching and breaking in

the jewelry and reduce the exposure to the sulfur elements in the air.

2. Cleaning – Silver requires cleaning if only to remove the tarnish that oxidation leaves on the jewelry. However, some people prefer this "antique" look to their pieces so just proceed with caution if you feel

the need to clean your jewelry. Silver is pretty easy to clean – you simply wash it in water and soap and

dry with a soft cloth. Abrasive surfaces are to be avoided because they may easily scratch the silver or gems if any.

To reduce tarnishing, remove your silver jewelry before cleaning with detergents or other chemicals. Never apply any suntan lotion with your silver on. Try not to use toothpaste to clean your silver as it may contain some harmful chemicals that might react with the silver itself.

Having sterling silver jewelry in your collection can be a worthwhile investment. It's very affordable and yet still appreciates in value over time. It's very easy to clean and preserve. There are so many designs and varieties in the market that you’ll surely find some that fit your lifestyle.

 

Silver Jewelry Shopping - Buy sterling silver jewelry online with the help of our shopping directory.

Jewelry Care Directory - Take care of your silver jewelry, take a look at our recommendations!

Fashion Jewelry Guide - Jewelry guide features silver, gold, titanium jewelries, the newest trends & online shopping tips.

 Copyright NBC Fashion & Lingerie Model Agency